I just now read a sad story in the Community News section of the Duarte View, the Duarte newsletter from March-April 2009. Mrs. Lawrence, Jerry and Kathy Lawrence's mom passed away on February 27, 2009. I remember Doug Lawrence, her husband, working out in their yard all the time. Their front yard used to be all ivy. Then he dug that up and rendered it all dirt. That's it. No plants. They had a speed boat parked to the side of their driveway for years. Jerry Lawrence was a world-class wrestler. His sister Kathy was an absolute sweetheart. In high school, she dated Mike Tenove. And I don't know what compelled her to do it, but during my senior year as the Cross Country team made our way to the front of the school where the bus was waiting for us to take us to our meet, Kathy ran over to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek for good luck. I could not believe it. She was so sweet. She didn't have to do that but she did. And I don't know whether she did it because she had empathy for me or that she just liked me or wanted some how to recognize me as someone she knew, someone she knew and lived near. Maybe she recognized my enduring status as a victim because of my size and my distaste for fighting, but she made my year in that moment. She was popular and well-liked by so many kids at school. Her parents were civic-minded and involved in support activities for the school. But as she leaned to kiss me on my cheek, I saw over her shoulder Mike Tenove watching and waiting for her patiently while she ran up to me and gave me a kiss for good luck. In review, I cannot believe it. That was Kathy Lawrence, the beauty with brains and status in Duarte's culture. In some ways, I am glad that I found this story if only that it makes me think of Kathy, Jerry, their sister Debbie and their father Doug. But it does show me the erosion of time. Go to page 6 in this link and read the article on Sue Lawrence, Kathy's mom. Kathy, if you find this, please accept my warmest wishes and know that as a kid growing up in Duarte, past whose house I used to go frequently, that my one consistent thought of your mother was that she was so energetic and always ready to help people out. A terrific woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment