O, the good
ol' double-billed movies playing at the Big Sky. The drive-in must have
been torn down in 1984, for the city began building the Gemco in April of 1985.
Lunchwagon Girls was released in 1981, and Cheerleaders, or The Cheerleaders,
was originally released in 1973; it's re-released here as a
double-biller. In 1977, I saw the movie The Other Side of Midnight here. Before that I saw in 1972
everybody's favorite for that year, Deliverance.
I
found this old advertisement for the Big Sky Drive-In. The resolution is
not great; the small print is blurred but readable. One of the movies the
outdoor theater featured was Under Ten Flags with Van Heflin and Charles
Laughton. Never saw it, but you can see it now for free at home.
That's what disturbs me about technology--it has a way of keeping people
indoors, such a contrast from my days of growing up in Duarte.
I can remember a '52 Chevy with girls in the trunk going through the gate of Big Sky Drive in 1971. We got caught and laughed at.
ReplyDeleteCraig (Class of '71) from Arlington, TX
That's a great memory!! We did pretty much the same thing at the Edgewood Drive-in in Baldwin Park.
Delete