| That girl is walking west at the northwest corner of Conata and Markwood in the Timarron section of Fish Canyon in Duarte, 1988. The photograph was taken by Mike Mullen and is part of the Herald Examiner Collection, which ceased publication in 1989. Here is a brief second-hand report from a retired Realtor in the area, "I know that I have heard the name Timarrons sometime in the past, but really do not have any idea when it originated. I believe it was a name that the developer picked and used in the advertising of the tract when the homes were originally sold but then fell by the wayside. I believe it referred to the Upper Fish Canyon tract which it how it was referred, during my real estate years. Like Royal Oaks Estates for our Hearthstone homes [and] next to us . . . the Emblem Homes above the Upper Fish Canyon homes." My reply is here: My suspicion was the same, that the developers sold the tract as the Timarrons in an effort to sell the properties. I did do a brief search on the developer to confirm this, but haven't found anyone online. There are no woods up in that canyon where Encanto Parkway ran to the SGV Gun Club. But it was a smart decision, I think, for the developers to associate that tract of land with the woods or forests nestled farther back in the canyon where the falls are or even farther up Highway 39. The suggestion was enough to make the image of a dense cluster of trees and gurgling creeks and mountain ranges stick. |
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Fish Canyon, 1988
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment